Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Aiding the Lost Boys From Making Collage, Thanks to the SLR's!



Think Creatively!

There are several ways I thought creatively to form the layout of my collage. I chose to have the images form the last word of my 6 word memoir, "Help". This format was meant to be eye-catching, striking and thought provoking, all the while reminding the viewer that anyone and everyone can help the situation that these boys are in. While designing this collage, I sought to create empathy in everyone who saw it, but not just leave them hanging for ways to take action. Instead, I included logos from various great organizations that aid the Lost Boys and their homeland, Sudan. The layout of my collage demonstrates how I thought creatively in constructing it.

Reason Critically!

Thanks to my critical reasoning, my project could truly be effective in terms of helping the Lost Boys. Right at the beginning of designing my collage, I decided to make it simple, not overwhelming and crowded. This was due to my reasoning that if the pictures and text of my project were clear and concise, the viewer would spend more time processing the information and hopefully taking action than reading the text and seeing the photos. Critical reasoning has helped my project to be somewhat striking and efficient.

Communicate Effectively!
The Lost Boys' history and situation is effectively communicated in my collage. The photos in the last word of my 6 word memoir, "Help", are not in any old order. In fact, they create a sequence of the lost boys' unfortunate history. The order of the photos are this: tribal background, harsh genocide, refugee camps and finally life in America. Through these photos, the stepped migration of the Lost Boys is simply and clearly described. This makes it easier for the people looking at my poster who aren't familiar with the Dinka tribe, let alone the Lost Boys spread awareness of the sticky situation of these people. My collage effectively communicates the story of the Lost Boys which helps spread awareness of their plight.

Live Ethically!

Certain features of my collage may evoke empathy in the viewer. The photos I chose to include in my collage were picked especially to create sympathy for the Lost Boys. Particularly, in the letter "E" of the word "Help" includes very striking images. The letter is filled with photos of war in Sudan as well as boys fleeing their homes, and these subjects tend to stir up sympathy for this cause. Also, I pasted on several facts and statistics about conflict in Sudan and the Lost Boys. When I found these facts I knew I had to include them into my collage because they truly horrified me and therefore would hopefully cause someone to take action as a result. Just in case that occurred, I put the logos of several organizations that can be donated to which support the Lost Boys struggling to survive in Africa as well as the U.S.A. into the "!" at the end of my 6 word memoir. Sympathy for the Lost Boys may be caused in the viewers of my collage due to several different items it includes.

No comments:

Post a Comment